Help others to develop their English and Digital skills and settle into life in Australia
Become a volunteer tutor
The Volunteer Tutor Scheme encourages people to join us in supporting adult migrants and humanitarian entrants who complete our Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP), helping them develop their English skills and settle into life in Australia. The scheme works across Sydney’s South West and the Canberra region.
Our Volunteer Tutor Scheme is designed to help migrants and refugees who cannot attend our AMEP classes, or who need extra learning support. Our volunteer tutors find the role extremely rewarding, often calling it “the best volunteering job in Sydney”.
Due to COVID-19 and health concerns/restrictions, normal Volunteer Tutor face-to-face lessons have temporarily stopped. The Volunteer Tutor Scheme has been streamlined for online delivery with various platforms available for use. Lesson times are flexible and can be out of work hours, or on weekends, depending on your availability. The AMEP is a free* course of up to 510 hours of English lessons to help people learn basic English and skills to allow them to confidently take part in Australian society.
Anyone can support us as a tutor, even if your first language is not English, and teaching experience is not necessary.
You will need:
- confidence and necessary skills in reading and writing in English
- access to a digital device such as a PC, laptop, smartphone, or tablet.
- a desire to help others learn
- to give 1 hour each week of your time
- to attend 16 hours of free training and interactive workshops with a qualified TESOL teacher
- a Working with Vulnerable People General Registration
- to give a minimum 6-month commitment
- to give your services for free, as there are no reimbursements.
You will receive:
- training, support and resources from our Volunteer Tutor Scheme Coordinator
- the satisfaction of helping others
- the chance to make new friends.
*Eligibility criteria apply. The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is funded by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.
Janine in the following video is one of our volunteer trainers. In addition to studying her master’s degree in Peace and Conflict Studies, Janine is doing her bit in the Bankstown community by helping others to improve their English, free of charge.